Westgate Heritage Centre, Westgate on Sea, Thanet, Kent
Westgate Heritage Centre, Westgate on Sea, Thanet, Kent

St Saviour's Parish Church

The provision of St Saviour's Parish Church as the venue for the Westgate Heritage Centre, is part of the outreach of the Parochial Church Council to the community.

St Saviour’s Church is a Grade II listed building in the heart of the Westgate on Sea Town Centre Conservation Area, close to the interesting Town Hall Buildings.

The church was consecrated on 23rd July 1884 and was designed by Charles Beazley, a London architect, as an integral part of the exclusive development known as the Westgate on Sea Estate. It is built of Kentish ragstone with door and window arches of Bath stone and is in the Gothic style.

It has a fine organ and good stained glass including a five lancet east window by Charles Kempe and six others from his studio. It has a ring of six bells, five of which are older than the church itself. They came from the redundant church of Holy Cross in Canterbury and were installed in St Saviour’s in 1975.

The War Memorial Chapel in which memorials to the Westgate men who died in the two World Wars and in Iraq, was designed by the William Morris studio. It also currently contains hand-written Rolls of Honour, two of which name the Westgate men who were fighting for their country in the First World War, whilst the third is a temporary memorial to the fallen. These rare artefacts were discovered only in June 2007 in a space between the back of the organ and the back of the side chapel alter.

www.stsaviourswestgate.org.uk

Heritage Lottery Fund